Thursday, March 1, 2007

Who thaar speaks the Queens English???


I am making this a post, I will also put in the GO HERE lineup so as to have it accessible when ever anyone needs it. It is the shipping forecast from the BBC and has been live on radio4 every day and night for the last 70 years or so. I find it haunting but immensely relaxing. Though I originally thought the announcer may be speaking doggerel, I have now, 30 years later, come to find a glimmer of understanding in their perfect enunciation. It steers the wayward back to their harbors and for any Ex Pats who grew up with this on in the back round of their fire lit homes on stormy nights, its one step away from being back home ourselves. For a full explanation on what it is go here. Scroll down to influences on popular culture and see who's crazy

No comments: